- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless pasta sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 5 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (15 ounces) fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef, zucchini, onion and green pepper over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, basil, flax, Italian seasoning and pepper; heat though. Drain noodles and rinse in cold water.
- In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, spinach, egg and vinegar. Spread 1 cup meat mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles, 2 cups meat mixture, 1-1/4 cups ricotta cheese mixture and 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, meat mixture and mozzarella cheese; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Power Lasagna in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p102
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Power Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review