Meet the Cook: At our house, this is a regular - it's as much fun to fix as it is to eat! (Sometimes, we even make extras of the potatoes to serve as appetizers.) Since it's so thick, it's great for potlucks as well. My husband and I frequently team up in the kitchen. We're the parents of two young daughters, ages 4 and 1. -Mara Beaumont, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 7 medium potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add potatoes and toss to coat; spread evenly in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. cover tightly with foil. bake at 425° for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Cool at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage and onion; drain. Combine spinach, ricotta, crumbs, cayenne, salt and pepper; mix well. Arrange a third of the potatoes evenly in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the spinach mixture, half of the sausage and half of the mozzarella. Repeat with a third of the potatoes and the remaining spinach, sausage and mozzarella. Pour broth over all. Top with remaining potatoes; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Potato Lasagna in Country Woman March/April 1996, p31
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Potato Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review