My family loves palmiers from the bakery, so I created my own recipe. These have a Mideastern twist with the addition of rosewater, honey and a touch of cardamom. They're light, crispy and delicious! They're definitely a special treat for the holidays.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rosewater or water
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
- Place flours and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add ice water and lemon juice to form crumbs. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times.
- Roll dough into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Starting with a shorter side, fold dough in half. Repeat rolling and folding. Wrap folded dough in plastic wrap; freeze 20 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Starting with a shorter side, fold dough into thirds, forming a 4x8-in. rectangle. Place folded dough with longer side facing you; repeat rolling and folding twice, always ending with a 4x8-in. rectangle. (If at any point the butter softens, chill after folding.) Wrap folded dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon and cardamom. In another bowl, mix butter, honey and rosewater. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; cut in half. Roll one half of the dough into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Brush with half of the butter mixture; sprinkle with half of each of the following: sugar mixture and pistachios.
- Starting with a long side, roll up the left and right sides toward the center, jelly-roll style, until rolls meet in the middle. Repeat with remaining dough, butter mixture, sugar mixture and pistachios. Refrigerate rolls 20 minutes or until firm enough to slice.
- Cut rolls crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Pistachio Palmiers in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p69
Reviews for Pistachio Palmiers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review