Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in thyme, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce and salt. Cool completely.
- Unfold one pastry sheet. Spread half of the mushroom mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up the left and right sides toward the center, jelly-roll style, until rolls meet in the middle. Cut into 24 slices. Repeat with remaining pastry and mushrooms.
- Place on greased baking sheets. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over pastries. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled appetizers in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, preheat oven to 400°. Reheat appetizers on a greased baking sheet until crisp and heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 pastry: 58 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 19, 2017
YUM!! I plan on serving this as a Thanksgiving appetizer. Nice and light, with a crispy puff pastry.
Feb 5, 2013
5 stars for sure! Easy, quick and delicious. Also impressive. Will keep handy for parties, etc.