Peanut Butter Chicken Recipe
Alabama is well known for growing peanuts…in fact, our state hosts the National Peanut Festival each year. Peanut butter stars in this recipe, making a tasty sauce for the tender chicken. Don’t let the unusual combination of ingredients—tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic and onion with the peanut butter—keep you from trying it. My family loves it!
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on all sides; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute onion and garlic until tender. Add the tomato sauce, water, peanut butter, sugar, vinegar and chili powder. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Return chicken to the pan; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Peanutty Chicken in Country Extra March 2006, p51
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Peanut Butter Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 28, 2013
My kids love this! Definitely has an Asian twist which we love.
Reviewed Feb. 21, 2013
I loved it - easy to make?my boyfriend and one of my best friends loved it