- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 6 cups tortilla or corn chips
- 4 to 5 cups shredded lettuce
- 9 to 10 pitted large olives, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Place chips in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Spread beef mixture evenly over the top. Cover with lettuce. For each star, arrange five olive slices together in the upper left corner. To form stripes, add cheese and tomatoes in alternating rows. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters White Blend CA, a crisp flavorful wine with hints of citrus. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $69.99. Order Now
Reviews for Patriotic Taco Salad
Sort By :
I added a can of refried beans on top of the beef mixture. It was very good. I also used gluten free tortilla chips as I am trying to cut down on my gluten. My guests really enjoyed it. I served it as a light dinner on July 4th as we had already eaten a big amount of food that day.
To make it more 4th of July I'll use taco sauce for more flavor, white cheese and out line the casserole with blue tortilla chips. Ill serve it with grilled tequilla lime chicken and pineapple/coconut slushies.
Cslowcookjw - you could use black beans instead of the olives. As Kristens198 suggested add a can to the meat mixture, reserving a few to sprinkle in the corner.
Have not made this yet. Would like to know what I can use rather than olives.
This was a great idea but I customized it for my cooking style. I added a can of black beans to add more protein and make it a meal. I also put chips on the side instead of the bottom layer. I used taco sauce and salsa instead of taco seasoning and tomato paste. Lastly, I used shredded mozzarella cheese for more red/white effect. It was a crowd favorite!