- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add oats and butter. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oat mixture, sugars, salt and 4 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; allow to rest for 10 minutes. Shape into 18 balls. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Oatmeal Dinner Rolls
"I made these rolls again last night .These are the new family favorites. I live on the East Coast and I use the full amount of flour and maybe even 1/4 cup more, but I also use wheat pastry flour. (Uncle Bob's)"
"I barely got 3 cups flour when I reached the soft dough stage. Its raising now. Has this happened to anyone else? If I continue adding flour, the dough will be way too stiff."
"These were easy to make with a Kitchen Aid mixer though time consuming. They were great warm and good the day made but didn't keep well. The next day not so good. If all will be eaten same day made a good recipe to use. Nice taste and size."
"I copied this recipe a while back and decided to try it yesterday. YUM! won't be long before I make it again. I used the doagh to make hamburger buns. Extra fussy hubby loved them too!"
"I made these rolls last week, following the instructions exactly. Well, these are the BEST rolls I have ever made or tasted!!! It was easy to mix in my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook first, so that kneading it right out of the bowl was simple. The rising times were exact and in a few hours i had 18 of the tastiest rolls I have ever had. They are even better than those hawaiian rolls you hear about. Give these a try, you will not be disappointed!"
"These are fantastic!"
"these are great, i made several "healthy" substitutions and they were still great, i'll chunk out all the rest of my roll recipes and keep this one...no more Sister Schubert rolls from the frozen foods section of our Walmart either."
"So Good! The texture is great! A definite favorite for my whole family!"
"absolutely wonderful.... tasty,soft and light....I made 2 loafs of bread instead of dinner rolls"
"These are absolutely the best, have made them several times. I am going to try to make a loaf in my bread machine."