- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add oats and butter. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oat mixture, sugars, salt and 4 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; allow to rest for 10 minutes. Shape into 18 balls. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Oatmeal Dinner Rolls
Sort By :
"I absolutely love this recipe. Instead of making rolls I made two loafs and they turned out AMAZING. They are soft and fluffy and very feeling. They went great with parsley salad and roasted marrow bones. And I even incorporated the basic dough for these rolls into a healthier and heartier version of my stable pizza recipe. And the best part is stays later there are still moist and delicious. Can't wait to make them again for Easter dinner."
"Excellent recipe. The rolls were moist and very tasty. I made this into bread loaves too. It turned our beautifully. This is a 5 star recipe and my husband agrees. Definitely a keeper."
"These are the very best rolls ever. I have been making lots of yeast rolls lately trying to find the perfect one. This is the best roll of any kind I have ever eaten - made by me or anyone else. I don't know what it is about this recipe. It's just magic! My husband who loves fresh bread, and has been happily sampling all the roll batches lately took one bite, turned around and said,"this is it"! I heartily agree. One problem - I crave these and want them every day with everything- breakfast, lunch, and dinner!"
"Beat until smooth? With the mixer?"
"Wonderful, nice texture, taste. Will make again!"