Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2-1/3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 5 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in oats; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute. Stir in brown sugar, butter, salt and remaining water.
- Transfer to a large bowl; let stand until mixture reaches 110°-115°. Stir in yeast. Add 3 cups flour; beat well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into 24 rolls. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on wire racks.
1 roll: 132 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.