New Year's Oyster Stew Recipe
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) oysters, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks in butter for 10 minutes or until tender. Add the potatoes, water and bouillon; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool.
- Transfer to a blender. Cover and process until blended. Return to the pan; stir in the milk, cream, oysters, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cook on low until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with parsley. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for New Year's Oyster Stew(2)
Sort By :
My husband loved this recipe. He said it was one of the best soups he ever had!
I normally make a very plain oyster stew using only oysters, butter and milk/cream. I was looking for somethig a little different and more flavorful. This was the perfect recipe. I followed the recipe exactly and my oyster stew turned out wonderful! My family really enjoyed it. Will be serving it again at our Christmas gathering.