Usually, I’d make this dish in the oven. But when I knew I wouldn’t have time for it to bake one night, I let it simmer all day in the slow cooker and had great results. The leftovers are wonderful! —Sandy Pettinger, Lincoln, Nebraska
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 beef top round steak (2 pounds), cut into 1-1/2-inch strips
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed golden mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup sherry or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker combine the mushrooms, onion and beef. Combine the soup, sherry, oregano, thyme and remaining pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Steak in Simple & Delicious August/September 2012, p16
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Mushroom Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review