- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup drained crushed pineapple
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Pour into two greased 6-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt vanilla chips; stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine topping mix and milk. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until thickened. Beat in jam and melted chips until blended. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until frosting achieves a spreading consistency.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup frosting with strawberries and pineapple. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mom's Favorite White Cake
"I have been looking for a good homemade cake recipe for decorating cakes. This one is a good one! I used all purpose flour, taking out 1 tablespoon of flour out of each cup and substituting 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Cake held up well and tastes great. I reduced the oven temp to 325 because my oven is very hot."
"SOMEONE WHO TRIED IT, PLEASE REPLY ASAP!Okay so i have never made a cake from scratch before but i have to make 2 by this upcoming Monday, i would like to know if i could just make the cake in a 13x9 pan and not add the frosting or filling because im gonna cover it with buttercream icing"
"This is now MY Favorite White Cake. I doubled the recipe for two 10-inch round pans and made a homemade fudge frosting for my husband's birthday. He told me to make sure I don't lose the recipe. I was surprised to find that it cooked in only 19 minutes."
"Diana check two things. The age of your baking powder and the temperature of your oven. Old baking powder will cause a cake to fall every time. Also, an inaccurate oven temperature will cause serious issues with the rise.Sue StetzelField Editor Manager"
"I made this cake twice and both times it collapsed. I followed the recipe completely and it still collapsed in the oven. Can anyone please help me figure out why this would happen. I really want to try it again but am scared it will collapse again please if u know what I am doing wrong please let me know. Thank you"