- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup drained crushed pineapple
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Pour into two greased 6-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt vanilla chips; stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine topping mix and milk. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until thickened. Beat in jam and melted chips until blended. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until frosting achieves a spreading consistency.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup frosting with strawberries and pineapple. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mom's Favorite White Cake
"What kind of cake is this? It's basically a cupcake. I was very disappointed after spending time carefully following the recipe. The taste isn't all that great either. Not good."
"I have been looking for a good homemade cake recipe for decorating cakes. This one is a good one! I used all purpose flour, taking out 1 tablespoon of flour out of each cup and substituting 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. cake held up well and tastes great. I reduced the oven temp to 325 because my oven is very hot."
"This is now MY Favorite White cake. I doubled the recipe for two 10-inch round pans and made a homemade fudge frosting for my husband's birthday. He told me to make sure I don't lose the recipe. I was surprised to find that it cooked in only 19 minutes."
"I made this cake twice and both times it collapsed. I followed the recipe completely and it still collapsed in the oven. Can anyone please help me figure out why this would happen. I really want to try it again but am scared it will collapse again please if u know what I am doing wrong please let me know. Thank you"
"This is the best cake ever...we love it."