- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in 2 teaspoons oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry onion in remaining oil for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and pepper flakes; stir-fry 2-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the chicken, tomatoes, olives and parsley. Serve with barley. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Mediterranean Chicken Stir-Fry
Sort By :
This was good and wholesome, but could be improved upon immensely. First off, the chicken could be marinated prior to sauteeing. I also added some balsamic vinegar after cooking, but wish I would have thought of it while I was cooking. I'll make this again because it's so healthy with my modifications.
Really liked this! A different take on stir fry. Will definitely add this to my rotation of regulars.
I used rice instead of barley, followed the recipe otherwise and liked all the ingredients. However, I felt it lacked a cohesive flavor. Would increase the herbs, salt & pepper next time. My husband, however liked it as is.
This recipe was a mixed bag. I liked it, but it didn't go over well with the younger members of my family, who are picky-eaters. I mis-read the recipe and served it with bulgur, and it tasted pretty good. It would be a good summer recipe.