- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups milk, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup, divided
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, combine cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan. Stir in 1/2 cup milk until smooth. Gradually stir in remaining milk and 3/4 cup maple syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- In a chilled small bowl, beat cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold 1 cup cream into cooled filling; spoon into crust. Fold remaining syrup into remaining cream; frost top of pie. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with toasted almonds. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Maple Cream Pie
Sort By :
"Made this recipe for a pie baking contest at work after doing a test run at home. Made a few changes- added 1 tsp maple extract to the filling before cooking on stove top, added the maple syrup to the whipping cream as well as about 1/4 c white sugar before whipping. Made Sugar Coated Pecans recipe from another site, which I chopped and sprinkled on top just before serving- this was fantastic! Also, used purchased graham pie crust, and everyone agreed the graham combined with the maple and pecan flavors was great! Oh yes- I won the contest!!"
"That pie is delicious. It melts in your mouth. The texture is smooth. The only thing is that I don't always have whipping cream in my refrigerator but I would serve it to guests."