Make-Ahead Corn Bread Dressing Recipe
Being from California, my family has always been big veggie eaters. I wanted to share a little taste of home with my in-laws so I created this dish for Thanksgiving. You don't have to let it sit overnight, but it's a nice make-ahead option and the flavors mesh more that way. —Patricia Broussard, Lafayette, Louisiana
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Place squash in a roasting pan, cut side down; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Bake 5 minutes longer or until squash is tender.
- Prepare and bake corn bread mix according to package directions, using an 8-in. square baking dish. Cool to room temperature; crumble bread. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-13 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring twice.
- In a large skillet, cook onion and celery in butter over medium heat for 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the sausage, corn, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper; heat through.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. In a large bowl, combine the sausage mixture, corn bread, squash and walnuts. Stir in broth.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 14 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Make-Ahead Corn Bread Dressing in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p104
Reviews for Make-Ahead Corn Bread Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Cornbread Stuffing >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >
- Sausage Stuffing >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Spaghetti Squash Recipes >