Homemade Coleslaw Dressing
Some cooked dressings can be heavy and overly sweet, especially if they contain cream, but this one isn't. This recipe dates back to 1942. Jewel Kiswer, Cartersville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk the sugar, salt, mustard, paprika and egg yolks until smooth. Gradually whisk in water and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Place the cabbage in a bowl; add dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 51 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Homemade Coleslaw Dressing in Country Extra July 2005