Mac 'n' Cheese for a Bunch Recipe
You'll satisfy many taste buds with this rich and comforting dish from Dixie Terry from Goreville, Illinois. Tender macaroni is covered in a creamy, homemade cheese sauce, and then topped with golden bread crumbs. A true crowd pleaser!
- 3 packages (two 16 ounces, one 7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1-1/4 cups butter, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 quarts milk
- 3 pounds sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions until almost tender. Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, melt 1 cup butter. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Drain macaroni; stir into sauce.
- Transfer to three greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casseroles.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 36 servings (1 cup each).
Originally published as Mac 'n' Cheese for a Bunch in Taste of Home April/May 2007, p39
Reviews for Mac 'n' Cheese for a Bunch(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2014
This is so delicious! The only thing I change is the bread crumbs. I use crushed Ritz crackers instead.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >