Mac 'n' Cheese for a Bunch Recipe
- 3 packages (two 16 ounces, one 7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1-1/4 cups butter, divided
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 quarts milk
- 3 pounds sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions until almost tender. Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, melt 1 cup butter. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Drain macaroni; stir into sauce.
- Transfer to three greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casseroles.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 36 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Mac 'n' Cheese for a Bunch(2)
Sort By :
I thought this was quite one-note (had very little depth of flavor). Definitely needs both salt and pepper. I'm thinking using 2 or even 3 kinds of cheese would also help - not sure which ones, though. An average-tasting mac'n'cheese (hence the three stars) I probably won't make again.
This is so delicious! The only thing I change is the bread crumbs. I use crushed Ritz crackers instead.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >