- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sea salt, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder butt roast (6 to 8 pounds)
- 1/4 cup barbecue seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 12 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls, split
- Combine 1 cup sea salt and granulated sugar; rub onto all sides of roast. Place in a shallow dish; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Using a kitchen knife, scrape salt and sugar coating from roast; discard any accumulated juices. Transfer pork to a large shallow roasting pan. Rub with barbecue seasoning; sprinkle with pepper. Roast until tender, 6-8 hours.
- Increase oven temperature to 500°. Combine brown sugar and 1 Tbsp. sea salt; sprinkle over cooked pork. Return pork to oven until a crisp crust forms, 10-15 minutes. Remove; when cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Serve warm on fresh buns or rolls. Yield: 12 servings
Reviews for Lisa's All-Day Sugar & Salt Pork Roast
"My family loved this delicious version of pulled pork! I put a bottle of good BBQ sauce alongside, but I don't think anyone used any sauce--it was that good! I would caution anyone planning to make it that you need to plan ahead as my big pork butt roast was frozen, so I had to thaw that in the fridge and then let it marinate overnight in the sugar/salt rub, then bake all day. Well worth the effort, just be sure to leave enough time. I will definitely be making this again!"