These irresistible thins have a tart lemon taste and crisp texture. To create a simple but special dessert, place some of the cookies in bowls of chocolate or vanilla ice cream.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the lemon juice, lemon peel and extracts.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into a 12-in. roll; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-9 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool 1-2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Thins in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p68
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Thins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review