- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups cold water, divided
- 1-1/3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Crystal Light lemonade drink mix
- 3 to 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 tablespoon graham cracker crumbs
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the milk, drink mix, food coloring if desired, and salt; beat on high speed until blended. Place the cottage cheese and remaining water in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Add milk mixture and gelatin; cover and process until thickened.
- Spoon into six 6-oz. custard cups. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Spread with whipped topping; sprinkle with cracker crumbs. Yield: 6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Chiffon Dessert
"oops, wrong recipe!"
"Mine tasted good, though I added lemon extract. Also, I thought the directions were a little hard to understand concerning the ladyfingers. To me, "split" means to split them lengthwise. Not so, they mean cut them in half. That would have been easier!"
"I don't think the directions were very clear about mixing the dry ingredients. Why do you have to beat them? A whole step could be eliminated, by adding the wet ingredients to the dry ones in the blender. That is what I did. It tasted very sour(no sweetener in recipe). So I added Splenda to taste and it is much bett, but I don't think I would make it again. Liz"
"I made this but it did not turn out good at all. I ended up throwing it out. It was too hard. One gelatin packet would probably have been better."
"Well, ladies, I made another attempt at this lemon dessert. I used just 1 packet of gelatin, and used 3 packets of drink mix. For those of you who are diabetic, the Crystal Light drink mix is sugar free, which I found appealing. This time the dessert turned out less dense and more chiffon-like, and had a very good lemon flavor. So, give it a whirl.........I think you'll like it."
"I used fat free cottage cheese and fat free cool whip to reduce calories and fat more. It was very good."
"Yes, I made it. It was very stiff; did it NEED 2 packages of gelatin?I would have liked even more lemon flavoring. I may try it with only 1 package of gelatin and more lemon drink mix."
"I had to read the recipe again, (slowly), the second time and then everything made sense. After mixing the water with the cottage cheese, you will then add the dry ingredients and the gelatin to that which is going to be creamy. I would use Kool-Aid also."
"I too would like to know what liquid and how much is to be mixed with the dry milk, drink mix, food coloring and salt. 1/2 a cup is used for the gelatin and the remainder is used for the cottage cheese. I must have missed something."
"Help! Someone needs to re-write the instructions so we can understand what to do. Is the DRY milk mixed with the drink mix and food coloring? I'm a seasoned cook and am familiar with cooking instructions, but this is really confusing. In this day and age we don't want to waste ingredients. Thank you."