- 7 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Dash salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together twice; place in another large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, water, oil, lemon peel and vanilla until smooth. Add to flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium speed just until stiff but not dry. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 50-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Chiffon Cake
"I live in Colorado so I was worried. Was my first try to a chiffon type cake and it was a success. I added a quarter cup of flour for the altitude, and used lemon juice for water. Otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Baked to 55 min and let it stay in there for another 7 min (aimed for 5 but got sidetracked). It fell out of the pan while cooling onto the plate I had it upside down over. Glad I planned for "just in case" since it raised only to the top of the pan. Picture perfect."
"This cake is fabulous!!! I made it for 2 separate occasions, both times to rave reviews. It's now one of my handful of go-to recipes. And, I should mention that I'm a professional baker."
"Made this cake, first time followed recipe. Only deviation from recipe was left in oven for 58 min. Cake was perfect. Served it to family and friends and was a tremendous hit with all. Next time I make recipe I will substitute water with lemon juice and water. I would like to taste a little more lemon in cake. Cake came out of tube pan perfectly and was very light and airy. Thanks for recipe submission - new favorite of mine."
"Gosh, I don't know what I did wrong. Nothing, really. I followed the instructions, with the minor exceptions of changing water to lemon juice, used coconut oil instead of canola. The cake rose beautifully, browned nicely....then it was time to invert it. I have the only kind of tube pan I know, the kind with two parts. Inverting it made the bottom start to slide. Not to mention, they don't make ketchup bottles like they used to, my beer bottles neck was too large, I was out was of options! I was standing there, holding the thing upside down, while hubby looked frantically for something to set the cake on! That's when I saw that it was literally falling out of the pan! Oops! I don't think it's supposed to do that :( Doing so, it broke apart. Not just from the bottom, from the sides also. Ho-hum. This was to be my Easter dessert. Ah well...hopefully no one minds. The taste is delicious (I took off the broken top and sides). Next time, I think I'll do what my gut told me to do, and that's to put it in a bundt pan."
"everyone loved this cake but the 2nd time I made it I used the lemon juice from the lemons instead of water, was just as awesome a wee bit more lemony"
"This cake took forever to make, was so looking forward to eating it, after grating all those lemons and wasting 7 eggs this was the worst cake I have ever made, will not be making this again...don't know what I did wrong ...good luck!,!!!!"
"i have made this cake for my family and they love lemon, so it is a real hit. It is so tender."
"I used to love the Betty Crocker orange chiffon cake mix they made many years ago. If I changed the lemon juice and zest to orange, do you think it would work?"
"I made the cake and icing just as written maybe a little more lemon juice in the icing. Mt husband and I thought it was delicious. Just what I was looking for, loved the tart sweetness. Thanks for sharing. My cake and icing looked exactly like the picture. I will make this for any special occasion.I just wanted to add I have made this cake several times since the first one. I have made in chocolate, orange and coconut. All have been outstanding, this is a wonderful cake but the lemon is the very best. Thank you so much for posting the recipe. 6 stars at least."
"I made this cake yesterday. Followed it step by step except I used a 9x13 pan instead (aluminum). Such a delicious cake. Moist and airy. Reminds me of angel food. The icing doesn't look anything like the picture, it actually was more like a glaze which was fantastic. This cake would be great with ice cream, right now I have it in the fridge and eating it cold. Warm w/ice cream, amazing!"