Lemon Chiffon Cake Recipe
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- LEMON FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Dash salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil, lemon peel and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and beat until well blended. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. In a small bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over top of cake, allowing frosting to drape down the sides. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Chiffon Cake
Sort By :
The frosting was just a tad heavy but still delicious.
LEMON LOVERS DREAM - I was very hesitant to make a homemade cake, let alone a Chiffon Cake. Absolutely delicious. Made this for a 4th of july party. Everyone loved it and some came back for seconds. Followed the recipe to exact, using fresh lemons. I had read the reviews on the frosting/glaze but I found it was just perfect. Make sure you GENTLY fold in egg whites. If not, cake will be more dense instead of "chiffon"..
I made this last night, I didn't have fresh lemons to get lemon zest so I used lemon juice from the bottle I inverted it over night. I made a lemon glaze with some of the lemon juice milk and icing sugar. I invited my mom over today to taste it with me and it is one of the best cakes I have ever made my mom loved it so much she took some home to share with her husband definitely will be making it again. Not sure why it didn't work out for some people maybe they didnt bake it long enough or preheat the oven or it could be the folding in of the egg whites because you dont want to lose all that air you whipped into them so you have to do it delicately
Excellent cake! I agree with gjfarm1, the frosting is too heavy for the cake. Next time I'll just do a glaze for the finishing touch and maybe add lemon extract to the cake for a bit more flavor. Great recipe definitely a keeper
Excellent cake! Frosting too heavy for such a lite cake.....next time will dust with powered sugar. Used 2 tsps. lemon juice instead of all that lemon zest in cake also.....tasted amazing! Looking forward to baking this one again.