- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream, optional
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Grease the bottom and sides of four 6-oz. ramekins; sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon sugar. Place ramekins on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, egg yolks, instant coffee and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt; spoon batter into prepared ramekins.
- Bake at 400° for about 12 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and cake sides are set and centers are soft.
- Remove ramekins to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Carefully run a small knife around cakes to loosen. Invert warm cakes onto serving plates. Lift ramekins off cakes. Serve warm with whipped cream or sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Lava Chocolate Cakes
"The instant coffee ruined it. If I were to make it again I'd definitely leave the coffee out. I love coffee but not in this recipe"
"Yummy! I used 1/4 C applesauce instead of butter, and lessened the sugar to 1/2 C. Thanks for sharing!!"
"Out of this world.....rich and delicious! I've made this recipe many times. I top my cakes with fresh, whipped cream."
"Way too much salt."
"Delicious, easy to make. Will fix again."