- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- Chocolate wafer cookies
- 1 can (16 ounces) dark chocolate fudge frosting
- Red jimmies
- Black jelly beans, shoestring licorice, nonpareils and white hard candies
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and coffee, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For lady bug wings, microwave chocolate wafers for a few seconds to slightly soften. Use a serrated knife to cut each in half. Cut off the tip to allow room for the lady bug face; save remaining wafer piece to prop up wings. Frost both wings and dip in red jimmies. Cut black jelly beans in half, add as spots to the wings; set aside.
- For antennae, cut licorice into 1-inch pieces. Dip one end into frosting and roll in black nonpareils; set aside to dry.
- To assemble cupcake, frost with chocolate icing. Position decorated wings on cupcakes, if desired, add reserved wafer piece under wing tip to prop up. Add antennae and white hard candy eyes. Pipe a small frosting dot for eyeballs. Add a large curved red jimmie and 2 small ones for the mouth. Yield: 14 cupcakes.
Reviews for Lady Bug Chocolate Cupcakes
Sort By :
I may do this one but never with the coffee. I hate the smell let alone the taste of the stuff and it ruins anything. I might use the wings and face on a chocolate cupcake but no coffee.
I see the directions for decorating the face but what exactly do you use for the face. I don't see that mentioned at all.
Annette51 - The 'face' is in the fifth directions. Above 'YIELD:"' 14 cupcakes!!!
Sorry can't type today - should read what do you use for the ladybug's face.
I may have missed it - but what do you use for the ladybug fact?