- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 large carrots, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Add kale, beans, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, seasonings and stock to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Top each serving with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forItalian Sausage & Kale Soup
"MY DH made a double batch of this soup. It's a colorful, flavorful and hearty one that we had with slices of smoked Gouda and crackers. Some is in the freezer, but we're looking to enjoy more for lunch in the next few days. Its a perfect winter warmup."
"I must say I was a bit skeptical because it seemed so simple and didn't have a lot of seasonings... It turned out way beyond what I expected--delicious. I followed recipe ingredients exactly but had to start with crockpot on high for the first few hours and then switched to low for another couple hours. This worked great. Lots of flavor and we used Italian blend cheese!"
"Flavorful, easy, and delicious! I really liked how filling it was with the beans and the sausage, and it was also nice to have the added nutrition from the kale."
"Great soup!! I didn't want to run to the store to get kale so used fresh spinach which I had on hand. It was really good, but I think next time I'll make an effort to use kale and see how the two versions differ."
"Made this for a group of soldiers and it was a great hit! We served with loaves of fresh crusty bread and a big salad, and was a great meal on a cold winter's night. I set out extra red pepper flakes for those who wanted more spice to their bowl. Wonderful for a weeknight meal, since it cooks for so many hours. Will make again for sure."
"Made this today just as written. Wowza!!! Flavors are amazing and perfectly seasoned! Definitely worth sharing. Going into the recipe keepsake box!"