For a casual get-together, this saucy herbed chicken is a terrific choice. Serve it over angel hair pasta for a delicious dinner that's special enough for company. —Marcello Basco, Deerfield Beach, Florida
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked angel hair pasta
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil on each side. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In the same skillet, saute garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Stir in the broth, tomato puree, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Pour sauce into a small bowl and keep warm. Return chicken to the pan; top with mozzarella and tomato. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Arrange pasta on a large serving platter; top with chicken. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Italian Baked Chicken in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p49
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Italian Baked Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review