- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg, milk and onion; add to dry ingredients just until combined.
- In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 365°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil. Fry 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Hush Puppies
Sort By :
"I'm vegan so I used flax seed (egg substitute) and almond milk, but even then, I could still taste the greatness. It fell apart in the pan, so my mom,(Im only 12) Added a bunch of spices. My mom didn't like the sound of "serves 4-6". She made me triple the batch. We're going to have hush puppies for a while now....but all in all, great taste!The spices were onion powder, garlic powder, and a bit of sugar."
"used this to batter fish and it was great"
"Made these for dinner tonight to go with BBQ Pork and Coleslaw they are quick, easy and delish. Thanks"
"This was fast and easy. I used onion salt and chopped green onion. I cut the recipe using 1/3 of the ingredients (I used the rest of the egg to dip the fish I cooked) and it made 5 small hush puppies, just enough for 2."
"These look good. Can they be baked instead of fried? At what temperature and for how long."