- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg, milk and onion; add to dry ingredients just until combined.
- In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 365°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil. Fry 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Hush Puppies
Sort By :
"Great recipe. I agree with the other reviews that say its kind of bland, so a few tweaks I would recommend:1. Add 1 Tsp of garlic power2. Use just a little LESS than 3/4 cup of milk to make the batter thicker.3. Make the batter and let it sit for 10 minutes before you use it. The thicker the batter the better the results. My first batch was thin and it did not fry properly. It fried like funnel cake and did not have good shape, By making the batter (slightly) thicker the results were perfect."
"My husband likes them."
"I'm vegan so I used flax seed (egg substitute) and almond milk, but even then, I could still taste the greatness. It fell apart in the pan, so my mom,(Im only 12) Added a bunch of spices. My mom didn't like the sound of "serves 4-6". She made me triple the batch. We're going to have hush puppies for a while now....but all in all, great taste!The spices were onion powder, garlic powder, and a bit of sugar."
"used this to batter fish and it was great"
"Made these for dinner tonight to go with BBQ Pork and Coleslaw they are quick, easy and delish. Thanks"