- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the milk, cream, sugars and salt until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- In a small skillet, saute pecans in butter, stirring constantly. Cool.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Stir in toasted pecans. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 2 quarts.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Homemade Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Sort By :
My family loved this ice cream! It was creamy and delicious!
I cut the sugar in half and then used a half cup of maple syrup in place of the brown sugar.
Will be making this again.
This was super easy to make and I loved the rich, buttery taste of the ice cream paired with the crunch of the pecans. This one is definitely a keeper.