- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the milk, water and vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or resealable plastic bag; insert a small star tip. Fill bag with frosting. Push tip 1 in. into center of cupcake and fill with frosting just until top of cake begins to crack. Pipe frosting over the tops. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Heavenly Surprise Cupcakes
Sort By :
"I love these! So good, reminds me of Ho-ho's, but better! The first time I did the frosting, it didn't turn out because I added too much evaporated milk. The second time it was perfection!"
"The frosting recipe is similar to the one I've made for years. I do not put in the powdered sugar. If you beat the mixture without the additional sugar it will smooth out and be a rich and creamy frosting. It looks like curdled milk at first then smooths out."