- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 12)
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Heavenly Angel Food Cake
Sort By :
I made this last night and it came out amazing! I even forgot to add the salt and no one could tell. I topped it with some homemade caramel and strawberries. Everyone loved it. I would highly recommend this to anyone who's looking for a light dessert.
Wonderful, turns out great.
As with all recipes, read carefully and understand what you are doing.you must understand soft peak,etc. if you do not, go to YouTube or other sites to comprehend. Do not blame the poster, as this assumes a moderate knowledge of cooking terms, ie folding etc. this cake is wonderful!
Update to previous ONE Star Rating. The website would not let me increase/ change my rating to 5 Stars. I watched a Utube video on how the eggs should look. I made a second attempt at this recipe and it was a great success.
My cake came out very very dense. Instructions say ..."beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved." Because I followed this instruction, and I really beat on high, this caused the very dense cake. Perhaps instructions should say to not over beat the eggs? I may give this recipe another shot since so many good reviews. This was the reason I picked this recipe because of the good reviews.
This was a wonderfully moist cake that I really enjoyed. Only issue I had was that it didn't rise as high as I expected. Was afraid that it would be too dense, but not a problem. I think maybe I mixed the whites a little longer than I should have, but still turned out wonderfully. Will definitely keep this recipe handy!
More Recipe Collections
- Angel Food Cake >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >