- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 12)
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Heavenly Angel Food Cake
Sort By :
"Very easy cake to make, I've made many an angel food cake and this is by far the best recipe. Just remember this recipe (as with all angel food cakes) should be made in METAL OR GLASS BOWLS ONLY, otherwise the cake will come out very dense and it will not be the light fluffy confection of your dreams.http://www.finecooking.com/articles/angel-food-cake.aspx?pg=1also for coffee flavor add 2 tbsp of instant coffee.and for chocolate add 1/3 cup cocoa.I personally like it with a 1/4 tsp of lemon extract, it really balances out the sweetness.have funps it also makes some bomb a** cupcakes"
"I made this last night and it came out amazing! I even forgot to add the salt and no one could tell. I topped it with some homemade caramel and strawberries. Everyone loved it. I would highly recommend this to anyone who's looking for a light dessert."
"Wonderful, turns out great.As with all recipes, read carefully and understand what you are doing.you must understand soft peak,etc. if you do not, go to YouTube or other sites to comprehend. Do not blame the poster, as this assumes a moderate knowledge of cooking terms, ie folding etc. this cake is wonderful!"
"Update to previous ONE Star Rating. The website would not let me increase/ change my rating to 5 Stars. I watched a Utube video on how the eggs should look. I made a second attempt at this recipe and it was a great success."
"My cake came out very very dense. Instructions say ..."beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved." Because I followed this instruction, and I really beat on high, this caused the very dense cake. Perhaps instructions should say to not over beat the eggs? I may give this recipe another shot since so many good reviews. This was the reason I picked this recipe because of the good reviews."