- 1 package (16 ounces) dried split peas
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked corned beef or ham
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Split Pea Soup
Sort By :
"Very good soup! Hearty and very healthy."
"I made this soup almost as indicated. I doubled the recipe. For the eight cups of water and five teaspoons chicken bouillon, I had used 64 oz. of chicken broth. For the 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, I used thyme. I did not use the one teaspoon of poultry seasoning. I did everything else as the recipe called for. I cooked this in a two gallon cast iron kettle.The soup is fantastic. I had the pastor over for lunch - this soup and grilled cheese sandwiches and he asked for the recipe. He loves split pea soup. Another friend is getting a quart. I have three quarts left over and they are now in the freezer. I am very pleased with how things turned out."
"I made it without the potatoes tonight, and it was just as good. A wonderful dinner choice for a cold night!"
"My husband and i love this soup."
"This was terrible!! The peas were rock hard!! I followed the directions just as stated! I was very upset. Not only did I waste my time but I wasted my money!"