No one would guess that this hearty, chunky soup from our Test Kitchen is made with tofu and soy milk. Even folks who don’t have a problem with lactose will eat it up!
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium red potato, diced
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup silken firm tofu
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, saute the corn, onion and peppers in oil until onion is tender. Add potato and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Process tofu in a blender until smooth. Gradually stir tofu and soy milk into soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Potato Corn Chowder in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007, p41
Reviews for Hearty Potato Corn Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 18, 2012
"I will be keeping this recipe. I was nervous about the tofu but I would never know.I added a teaspoon of old bay seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder for a little more flavor."
Reviewed Aug. 18, 2009
"Thanks! I'm extremely lactose intolerant due to high does of antibiotics. I miss a lot of the foods I use to have."