Hearty Oxtail Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds oxtails or meaty beef shanks
- 1-1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 quarts water
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a stockpot, saute the oxtails, carrots, onion, celery, leeks and green pepper in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the tomatoes, bouillon, seasonings and water. Bring to a boil. Skim off any foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Stir in barley; cover and continue to simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Add additional water if necessary.
- Remove oxtails; set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes. Return meat to soup. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 24 servings (6 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Oxtail Soup
Sort By :
"Using 2 cans beef broth instead of bouillon cubes and a mere 2 cups of water to begin with with a clove of garlic (crushed) instead of garlic powder - also increased the amount of chopped onion instead of using onion powder. Will see how it tastes halfway through the simmering and will add more beef broth (better if I had stock) and S&P if necessary - before I add the barley and cover it up again."
"I decrease the water to 4 quarts,add more bouiilon cubes and,and measure the salt(1-2tsp) When I made it as stated it was too bland."
"This is a great soup with good flavor! Lots of good comments from the family. It is easy to make you just need to let it simmer for 3-4 hours and take out the bones...that's the hardest part. Also, it is very economical especially if you buy your beef in bulk (1/4, 1/2 or whole cow) as you don't have to pay extra for this at the store. I just tell the butcher I want the oxtail when I have the beef processed. Make for dinner and freeze the rest."
"easy to make good flavor"