I enjoy making this lovely coffee cake for anniversaries, Valentine's Day and other special occasions. I found the recipe more than 30 years ago, and I've been making it ever since. The delicious treat is a hit with family and friends. -Norma Hammond, Leland, Iowa
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons milk
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast and water. Add milk, 1/2 cup butter, eggs, sugar, salt and 2 cups of flour. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Divide in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Brush with remaining butter. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Place, seam side up, on two greased baking sheets. Fold each roll in half lengthwise with seams touching, with one side 1-1/2 in. longer than the other.
- With scissors, make a lengthwise cut down the middle to within 1 in. of open ends. Open and lay flat; arrange into a heart shape. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- For icing, in a small bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla; add milk. Drizzle over hearts. Yield: 2 coffee cakes.
Originally published as Heart-Shaped Coffee Cake in Taste of Home October/November 2000, p39
Reviews for Heart-Shaped Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2011
"This coffee cake was delicious. I made two large coffee cakes. I made extra icing, as my family loves lots of icing."