- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups quartered peeled small onions
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 4 tablespoons flour, paprika and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. Add the water, tomato paste, bouillon, 1-1/2 teaspoons basil, 3/4 teaspoon thyme, 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- Add the potatoes, onions and carrots. Cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaves. In a small bowl, combine the parsley, salt, and the remaining flour, basil, thyme and garlic powder. Add cold water; stir until smooth. Stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Healthy Beef Stew
Sort By :
"First, i'd like to say it has great flavor. Second, next time I will leave out the coating of flour and braising. I like the idea of green beans. Sorry to be so harsh but it's just my opinion."
"My husband and I have both decided that this is the best beef stew we have ever had. Delicious! Thank you so much for sharing."
"This is my go-to stew recipe. I've done it both on the stove top and in the slow cooker."
"This is about the best beef stew we have ever eaten. The only change I made was the addition of some left over green beans and their juice and about 1/2 tsp more salt. Total with beans and juice was probably just over a cup. The spice blends are not overpowering but just right. Definitely a keeper. I happened on to it while going through a stack of old magazines and it sounded just right. This will definitely be the only beef stew recipe I use from now on."
"This is the best beef stew I have ever had and a lighter version (who knew). This is now my favorite beef stew recipe."