Oven-baked green tomatoes are deliciously tangy smothered with tomato sauce and topped with three kinds of cheese. Serve this as a side dish or a meal’s centerpiece.—Mike Chapman, Elyria, Ohio
Recommended: 30 Fresh Tomato Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place tomato slices in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 5 minutes; pat dry.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Place flour in a separate shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and basil.
- Coat tomato slices in flour, then dip in egg whites and coat with bread crumb mixture. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with half of the tomatoes and spread with ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Green Tomato Parmesan in Country Woman August/September 2012, p36
Reviews forGreen Tomato Parmesan
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 15, 2012
"It tasted great!! I used sea salt and also used five cheese sauce. I also used cottage cheese in place of the ricotta cheese because I forgot to get it. It tasted great."