- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in parsley; cook 5 minutes longer.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Great Northern Bean Stew
Sort By :
"Talk about a hug in a mug! After taking the advice of several reviewers to increase the bean content (I put in two large jars of Great Northern beans, water and all, instead of the one 15-oz. can), this turned into the most comforting, hearty, flavorful creation I have had in a long time! We provide meals to my elderly in-laws, and the fact that this is so nutritious and freezes well will make this tops on my list!"
"I did start to make this but then realized there was no liquid at all in it except for the tomatoes. Had to add water. Wasn't impressed with this stew."
"loved this, but next time will add more beans!!"
"Husband loved this and has asked for it again"
"This was delicious!! Perfect for snuggling on the couch on a cold night!!"