- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- Sprinkle chicken with cayenne and salt. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches. Remove from pan.
- Add sausage, onion, green pepper and celery to same pan; cook and stir over medium heat 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes. Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1 hour or until chicken juices run clear.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Remove chicken from pan. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Shred meat with two forks; return to pan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Skim fat. Drain spaghetti; serve with chicken mixture. Yield: 10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Grandma's Cajun Chicken & Spaghetti
"This recipe was delicious and fairly easy to prepare. I used bone-in skin-on thighs instead of a whole chicken but it turned out very nicely. This will be a great addition to the Cajun recipe file. Thanks!"