Grandma's Blackberry Cake Recipe
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream, optional
- Toss blackberries with 2 tablespoons of flour; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves, allspice and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in blackberries.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Grandma's Blackberry Cake(3)
Sort By :
Excellent recipe. I made this three times in a week and everybody I shared it with loved it, too. Doesn't need icing. Made it just as written.
It turned out so good! It was moist and beautiful. Would definately make again!!
I cannot wait to pick blackberries again for use in this recipe.
eatwell68 from Charleston, WV