Grandma's Blackberry Cake Recipe
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream, optional
- Toss blackberries with 2 tablespoons of flour; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves, allspice and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in blackberries.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Grandma's Blackberry Cake
Sort By :
"Excellent recipe. I made this three times in a week and everybody I shared it with loved it, too. Doesn't need icing. Made it just as written."
"It turned out so good! It was moist and beautiful. Would definately make again!!"
"I cannot wait to pick blackberries again for use in this recipe.eatwell68 from Charleston, WV"