- 2 celery ribs
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Finely chop the celery, carrots and onion. In a Dutch oven, saute vegetables in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, clams, clam juice, 1 cup water, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Gradually stir in milk; heat through. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into chowder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Golden Clam Chowder
"This recipe was pretty good but I was expecting more due to all the other great reviews. I'm still on my quest to duplicate the clam chowder from the now-defunct Shells Restaurants in Florida."
"I Love,Love,Love this recipe. I am not really a clam chowder kinda girl. But I loved this! My family loved it too. I just added a little extra bacon but followed this to the T. Def will make again!!"
"This is awesome. I like that there is no heavy cream and I have skipped a few ingredients that I did not have on hand...it still comes out phenomenal! A Friday staple for our family of ten. Thanks, Amanda Bowyer!"
"This recipe was decent, but it could be better. I'd add corn next time."
"I am not a fan of clam chowder but my husband is so this was my first time making clam chowder and it was great! The recipe is quick with most ingredients I had on hand. I too skipped much of the thyme because it's not my favorite and wonder what other spice I might add the next time I make it. I am considering the Tabasco as someone else suggested! I served it with the TOH Braided Onion Potato Loaf and that was a good combo. I will make this again for sure!"
"My boys are picky eaters but they LOVED this chowder...it was so easy to make that my 11 year old did all the chopping and cooking with just a little help from me....I lost the tear out from the magazine and am so happy to finally have found it online! Can't wait to make it again now that the weather has turned cold!"
"Best clam chowder I have ever made! I used about 3 green onions in place of the regular onion, just because I had green onions to use up, and it worked very well. I cut the garlic back to 3 cloves and cut the thyme in half, and that seasoning was perfect for us. I think thyme can be overwhelming, at least for us. A keeper recipe for sure!"
"One of the best, easiest soups I've had in a long time. Husband and son couldn't get enough of it. Full of flavor. Easy, and very economical to fix. Sandwiches were great too. Loved the hint of apricot in them."
"I am 70 yrs. old, saw the picture and the recipe,it looked good, I made it 2 days later, it was out of this world. I would most definately make again.(:-)"