- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg and water. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Reroll scraps.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Gingerbread Men Cookies
Sort By :
"sometimes I add more molasses and ginger...and omit the allspice...perfect every time! LOVE this recipe!"
"great recipe, and the cookies stayed soft on the inside but crispy on the outside!"
"We made these cookies wks ago and the were crispy and held up well with icing and did not get soft. The best part was the grand and grt grand kids loved them."
"My first time making gingerbread cookies from scratch and they turned out pretty good! I left them a little thicker so they were fairly soft which I like. Now if I could only decorate better...."