- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg and water. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Reroll scraps.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Gingerbread Men Cookies
Sort By :
"I'm hosting the family this year for Christmas, and came across this recipe, I'm overly impressed with the reviews, and am about to give it a shot.Question though, do they freeze well, and taste the same afterwards? I was looking to get a head start on my christmas bakingI would appreciate the feedback!"
"These are AMAZING!! Soft on the inside, yummy all around!"
"For my first time ever making gingerbread men cookies, I used this recipe and some of a Good Housekeeping (I know; how "mom" of me) . They turned out well, and were a hit at our "Thanksmas" party this weekend. I have not been much of a baker to use a rolling pin. When it says to let the dough cool, definitely do so. It helps to prevent it sticking to the pin. I would also say generous amounts of flour is perhaps most important. All in all, good recipe. @kitchen_cook #smallkitchencooking"
"sometimes I add more molasses and ginger...and omit the allspice...perfect every time! LOVE this recipe!"