- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in pecans.
- Shape into 2-in. balls and roll in coarse sugar. Place 2-1/2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 13-15 minutes or until tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Giant Molasses Cookies
Sort By :
these are awesome, will definitely make again,
These were delicious and they were indeed giant!
KarlaM make sure you are using butter not margarine. Margarine makes cookies spread and butter makes them light and fluffy.
A little nervous about using so much ginger and molasses but I did it anyway and have to say these cookies came out pretty well. However, they're a little on the sweet side and although I didn't notice at first, there's a bit of a spicy hot aftertaste, which I'm assuming is from all that ginger. I used a smaller cookie scoop so these were not giant cookies, just normal size. I also added a bit more cinnamon by accident for a total of about 2 tsps. These cookies are plenty sweet without rolling them in coarse sugar. The smaller cookies still took 15 minutes to bake at 350 and came out nice and chewy with cracks on the top just like the picture shows. Using the smaller scoop gave me a little over 6 dozen cookies. I'll definitely make these again but just cut back on the ginger and sugar a bit.