- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in pecans.
- Shape into 2-in. balls and roll in coarse sugar. Place 2-1/2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 13-15 minutes or until tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Giant Molasses Cookies
"Absolutely perfect cookies! I make them exactly according to the recipe and they are everyones favorite!"
"Fabulous cookies. Turned out beautiful, and delicious. Followed the directions exactly."
"Made these cookies in an attempt to mimic a local restaurant's fantastic cookies. I think this recipe topped them! My husband says, "I think the flavor is even better!" The only change I made was using a vegan buttery spread since we are dairy free. These were really good. I may attempt to add some baking powder next time to see if I can create a cakier cookie. My husband is very high maintenance;)"
"Loved this recipe. Made them exactly to the recipe and they turned out great"
"I used 2 tsp cinnamon. I used an Amish molasses that was first run.It's kinda like a mixture of molasses and honey tasting. For a strongermolasses flavor use second run or what's called Black Strap which isthe strongest molasses I think you can get. May have to look at a farmstore or a Amish store. If you really want a strong molasses taste."