- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in pecans.
- Shape into 2-in. balls and roll in coarse sugar. Place 2-1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 13-15 minutes or until tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Giant Molasses Cookies
"My husband loves cookies made with molasses and spices. I have a recipe for rolled molasses cookies; but if I am in a hurry, this is the one I use. It is just as good as the rolled cookie; but quicker to make."
"i could not locate my family recipe of molasses cookies and decided to try these. My husband is the taste tester and loved the softness and the flavor EXCEPT for the strong ginger taste. I will make them again - but cut down on the ginger to 2 tsp. Great recipe otherwise!"
"Flavor and texture of these are amazing! Nice change from my Oatmeal or chocolate chip cookies1"
"These cookies were nothing short of superb! I made them yesterday, brought them to work today and by tonight every cookie at home and work was eaten. Will be adding this to my line-up. Great recipe, thank you for sharing!!!!!"
"Made exactly as the recipe suggested and these were excellent. Given other reviews I put the dough in the fridge for an hour and it was very easy to handle.Great flavour - ginger is prominent. Ran out of the course sugar and so had a few with regular sugar and they weren't near as good."
"These cookies are amazing! Kids love them. I made smaller cookies and it made over 5 dozen!"
"Would someone please tell me if the 2 cups of sugar for this recipe is brown sugar or white sugar? I appreciate all your reviews and suggestions. Look forward to making these."
"First, these are NOT molasses cookies. They are gingersnaps. Look at the recipe - a very small amount of molasses, and the ginger is almost 4 times as much as any other spice. That being said, these are very tasty. I increased the molasses to 2/3 cup and reduced the cloves to 1/2 teaspoon (I'd like taste something other than cloves). Will make again for sure - when I want gingersnaps. I also left out the pecans, as my husband doesn't like nuts in his cookies. Oh well."
"Made these cookies yesterday. Loved them. Can't wait to make them for the holidays."