- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in pecans.
- Shape into 2-in. balls and roll in coarse sugar. Place 2-1/2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 13-15 minutes or until tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Giant Molasses Cookies
Sort By :
"Also added 1/2 c flour."
"really good...i added about a half cup flour too.. i sifted dry ingredients.. and add tesp of black pepper .."
"Good taste, but I was expecting the cookies to be the color of the molasses but they were more like the color of ginger. I don't know what I did wrong, but they just didn't look right to me."
"Easy to make. After reading comments about sticky dough and spreading, I made a double batch and added one extra egg and an extra 1/2 c flour (roughly 1/2 cup, just till it is very thick and beginning to lose stickiness). I refrigerated the dough overnight which helps keep the cookie from spreading. My dough was very stiff after refrigerating. My end result was perfect. I baked the till the bottoms started to show brown. They were crispy on the outside and chewy inside. They freeze well. This recipe is a keeper!"
"Very flavorful. My complaint is that the dough is so sticky. I had a very hard time shaping balls. I added at least 1/2 cup more flour, too. I will chill the dough overnight the next time. I made the cookies a little smaller. First tray I baked at recommended temperature and cookies were too hard. More chewy if baking time is cut back. Will make again."