This gorgeous strudel has just what you crave this time of year: thin layers of flaky crust and lots of juicy apples.—Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup warm water (120°)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 6 cups chopped peeled apples (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- Place flour in a mixer bowl; beat in 1/4 cup oil (mixture will be slightly crumbly). In a small bowl, slowly whisk warm water into beaten egg; add to flour mixture, mixing well. Beat in remaining oil until smooth. Transfer to a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread bread crumbs into an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Tape a 30x15-in. sheet of parchment paper onto a work surface; dust lightly with flour. Divide dough in half; place one portion on parchment and roll to a very thin 24x15-in. rectangle. (Keep remaining dough covered.) Remove tape from parchment.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup bread crumbs over rectangle to within 1 in. of edges. Starting 3 in. from a short side, sprinkle 3 cups apples and 1/4 cup raisins over a 3-in.-wide section of dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half of the mixture over fruit. Drizzle with half of the melted butter.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting at fruit-covered end and lifting with parchment; fold in sides of dough as you roll to contain filling. Using parchment, transfer strudel to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; trim parchment to fit pan.
- Bake on lowest oven rack 45-55 minutes or until golden brown, brushing top with sour cream two times while baking. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Using parchment paper, transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 2 strudels (8 slices each).
Originally published as German Apple Strudel in Taste of Home September/October 2014, p49
Reviews for German Apple Strudel
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review