Georgia Peach Ice Cream Recipe
My state is well known for growing good peaches. This delicious recipe has been a family favorite for almost 50 years. —Marguerite Ethridge, Americus, Georgia
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-3/4 pounds fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk eggs, 1 cup sugar and salt until blended; stir in milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is just thick enough to coat a spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Quickly transfer to a bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in sweetened condensed milk. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- When ready to freeze, in a small bowl, mash peaches with remaining sugar; let stand 30 minutes. Pour custard into cylinder of ice cream freezer; stir in peaches. Freeze according to manufacturers' directions. Yield: 3-3/4 quarts.
Originally published as Georgia Peach Ice Cream in Country August/September 1997, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Georgia Peach Ice Cream(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 15, 2013
I am from Ga and this is just as good as the peach icecream they serve at Lanes Peach Packing Plant in GA.
More Recipe Collections
- Birthday Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Ice Cream >
- Homemade Peach Ice Cream >
- Ice Cream Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >