- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- LEMON BUTTER FROSTING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons mashed ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Banana Cupcakes
"Made these today and they taste very good. I did have a problem with the icing. It was so liquidy that the icing was just sliding right off the cupcake. Everything was cool. The cupcakes cooled for at least 2 hours before I had a chance to frost them. I didn't have a problem with them rising. They cupcake it self turned out perfect. I love the taste of these.."
"I added half a teaspoon of cinnamon. WOW!!! Didn't try the icing, but I am SO excited to find this recipe! I'll never tell anyone where I got it though, it's that good."
"The cupcakes were moist and flavorful. However, they didn't rise very well and were essentially flat. I also had to say the icing was runny. I had to add more sugar, which made them very sweet. I also only added 1 tsp. lemon juice because I saw how runny the consistency was going to be. So, added more lemon juice and more sugar. I think if I make these again, I will make cream cheese icing and maybe add banana to it. I agree with another rater, they weren't very attractive."
"These were perfect! I can't imagine how this icing came out runny. It was fluffy and simply lovely. Thank you for this one!"
"Delicious! The hint of lemon in the frosting is quite a yummy surprise too!"
"What a great cupcake recipe. I will make again and again--thank you"
"Oh Yum!! These were quick, simple, and delicious!"
"My family LOVES these! The cake itself is really good, but the frosting is so perfect and puts these over the top. Don't skip on the lemon in the frosting - it makes the whole thing!"
"After reading the reviews about the"runny" frosting, I was hesitant to make these cupcakes but I went ahead and the frosting turned out great for me. These cupcakes taste so good even my kids were oooing and aahing over them! The frosting really make these cupcakes something special."
"I always made Banana Bread with my over ripe Banana's.Now my guys have a new favorite.I didn't use all the Lemon juice that it called for in the icing."