Chunky Monkey Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 5 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Chopped salted peanuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Beat first five ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into banana mixture. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Fill prepared cups three-fourths full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese, peanut butter and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread over cupcakes. If desired, sprinkle with peanuts. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 250 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 15, 2018
These were very moist and had just the right balance of bananas and chocolate. I would definitely recommend going a little heavy on the confectioner's sugar when making the icing, otherwise it will be too soft and thin.