- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until blended.
- Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Banana Bars
"These bars are so good! I had bananas to use up and my family loved these!"
"My teenage boys gave this amazing dessert five stars! Even though I made it into a cake since I did not have a 15x10 pan. Took an extra 15 min baking time but well worth the wait. The frosting mirrors our local bakery's delicious frosting and now I cam make this at home. The boys said they will avoid eating the bananas so I can make this again. Thank you for sharing."
"Outstanding! This is so easy and is a hit at every gathering. My college age son begs me to bring to share with his housemates every time I visit."
"Just made these today. Had to use two 8x8 square baking pans, baked for 24 minutes. Turned out beautifully. Think I will cut the frosting recipe in half, to save on calories and sweetness next time. Gets two thumbs up on deliciousness!"
"I have been looking for this recipe. These classic old fashioned bars are so good & always a crowd pleaser."
"In my view, "bars" are denser than cake. I should have realized that with three eggs, this recipe was going to be more cakey than bar-like. It tastes good, but it's not what I expected or wanted."
"I made these this weekend 4/2016, and they are delicious. I didn't change anything about the recipe and didn't need to. They would be good with walnuts in them or sprinkled on top of the icing."
"I've been making this recipe for years and EVERYONE loves it. I have shared the recipe tons of times."
"I made these following the directions exactly. They were very good."
"My son LOVED these banana bars and has been asking me to make them again! My husband thought there was too much frosting and scraped most of it off. Next time, I will make less frosting or double the recipe and make 2 pans!!"