- 1 pound part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut cheese into twenty-four 1/4-in. slices. Place the eggs, flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip cheese slices in eggs, then coat with flour. Dip cheese again in eggs and coat with crumbs. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute garlic in 1 tablespoon oil for 1 minute; add the tomatoes, oregano, sugar, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- In a large skillet, cook cheese slices in remaining oil over medium heat for 30-60 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce. Yield: 2 dozen appetizers (2-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Fried Mozzarella Cheese Appetizers in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p19
Reviews for Fried Mozzarella Cheese Appetizers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review