Fresh Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 8 cups chopped fresh pumpkin (about 3 pounds)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 small tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS:
- 1/2 cup fresh pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until pumpkin and apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, toss pumpkin seeds with oil and salt. Spread onto an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 250° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Cool soup slightly; process in batches in a blender. Transfer to a large saucepan; heat through. Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Fresh Pumpkin Soup
Sort By :
when I was growing up, my mom made pumpkin soup every fall. she did not add apples, but did make homemade potato dumplings to add to the finished soup. This is very fall
Was different, I added a little fresh nutmeg on top, which I felt added to it
My daughter and I love all sorts of soups and always the freshest ingredients, so we were looking forward to eating this. However, we did not like the flavor at all and will not be making it again. We threw it all out.
My mom and I made this, it really was disgusting, we threw the whole thing away, and we eat about anything, I'd never make this again
If time is a factor with Fresh; use a pressure cooker to cut the time to about 45 minutes under 15 pounds pressure.
Blend well and strain for Smooth texture.