Talk about comfort food, here's a delectable example from Janet Fahrenbruck-Lynch, the winner in Cincinnati, Ohio. Her old-fashioned dessert has the perfect sweet-tart balance with its fresh-plum tang and sweet, crispy topping. Imagine it warm from the oven, served with a scoop of ice cream…yum!
- 7 large plums, pitted and quartered
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the plums, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, baking powder, salt, mace and remaining flour. Add egg; stir with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over plum mixture. Drizzle with butter.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until plums are tender and top is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Plum Crumb Dessert in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p49
Reviews for Fresh Plum Crumb Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review